Monday, December 18, 2006

A little bit of culture



After a great morning paddle, I met Alan and headed for a little bit of culture at the www.nationalmuseum.sg

I was told that it was originally built at the Raffles Library- after an extended renovation the museum was opened at the beginning of December and the space is beautiful. The old buildings have been maintained and upgraded so that there is a fabulous glass ceiling and a deep basement gallery- although we were there for the 'culture' we headed straight for food. I can't live without it for very long. (I also still believe that you can judge much of a museum by the coffee shop and the gift shop)

After a sandwich and a cup of tea, I joined the kids in wrapping Alan with magnetized wires and tubing. A new form of bondage that this totally above boardIt was hilarious and the kids, who we didn't know were totally into it. They must of known he needed some containing!

The actual fixed exhibitions are a little lacking- they have stuck with some main themes that 'define' Singapore. The one I thought was quite bizarre was the Roti Prata display with a full multi-media presentation on how to make it. I knew food was important to this island nation, and it is food one of the things I enjoy most about Singapore, but it still strikes me as odd that it is captured in the National Museum. I suppose we aren't allowed to display the latest efforts of the local taxidermist anymore...the building is grand and a lovely place to wander around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home